Saturday, March 28, 2009

Wish Lemons 5K

I've been wanting to sign up for some more 5k races, but I waited until the end of March because I'm a fair weather runner. It's always warm in Oklahoma by the end of March so I figured I was safe doing a race on March 28th.
Four of my friends and I did the Wish Lemons 5k in downtown Tulsa this morning. Imagine our surprise when Oklahoma got hit with a freak spring snowstorm. On our way there, it was just raining, but by the time we started running the snow was coming down like crazy. Add in temperatures in the low 30's, wind blowing the snow straight in your face, and a long hill for the last stretch, and you have a race that we will never forget.
Even though it was a hard run, it was really fun to run in the snow. It was really pretty running along the river with the snow coming down. Plus, I realized that I have friends who are just as dedicated/insane as I am because all 5 of us showed up for the race despite the weather. I love these girls!

Steph and I before we got out of the car. Oh we were so dry and warm!
Emily, Lindy and Valerie

After the race we weren't quite so dry or warm, but we're still smiling!

Everyone was really happy with their times.
Taking advantage of the hospitality table.
Waiting for the post race massages

Leaving the stage after accepting my medal. I came in 2nd place in my age group.
Yea for us!
This is what it looked like on our way home. Are you kidding me? It's almost April!

My street looked like this when I got home. My kids are outside building an igloo right now. Where did spring go?

5 comments:

Becky said...

You totally rock for conquering that race!!

Elizabeth said...

You.Are.Insane. I miss working out with you bc you are so tough and competitive. And you know where I stand in those regards. I would have pulled up to the nearest Krispy Kreme drive thru, gone home and watched the snow. Congrats on 2nd place. Is Nick going to build you a trophy cabinet in the new house:)What do you do with those things as an adult?

chelsey said...

Congrats!! I'm so jealous you can run like that! I have to take a break from running due to a couple small fractures in my foot (stupid me ~ a year long story). I'm worried I'll lose the ability to keep going since I'm stuck to walking and elipticals. Anyway, congrats again! You're amazing!

Julie H. said...

Way to go! It's hard enough to run a race on a good day. You're lucky you have dedicated friends. I think that's the best part about running. It makes it so much more fun when you can train with someone and share your memories.

As for all of your race memorabilia. I made a book which with a bunch of ribbons, pictures and race stats. And my friends husband made this incredible display for her. If you're interested in seeing it-go to my blog and click on Shannon C, then go back to December. I think it was a Christmas gift he made for her and it is very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey ! This was so fun to read and See !!! Drew looked so Cute and the kids are really growing up. Andrea you look Mavalous !I bet you feel good when you run. Thanks for being kind to my wixom grandchildren. Hope you don't mind that I read this. Take care. Love, Stephanie's mom.....Jan Collier