Monday, August 18, 2008

Girls Weekend in OKC

Last week our good friends the Mings moved to Texas. Even though I knew it was coming, it was still so sad. The weekend before they left, Kressyda and I decided to have one last hurrah, and we headed to Oklahoma City for a girls weekend. We had a blast shopping, eating, sleeping in, and just hanging out. It was a great way to say goodbye, and hopefully it won't be our last girls trip together.
I was in charge of making the hotel reservation for our OKC weekend. Since gross hotels make me nervous, I decided to book a hotel that I had stayed in a couple of times before. We got there late Friday night after doing some shopping and having dinner, and we were exhausted. We checked in and everything looked nice. We got to our room and opened the door, and about passed out from the smell of cigarette smoke. Since we had reserved a non smoking room, we called the front desk. They were completely booked, and insisted that we were in a non smoking room, but sent someone up with a machine to take the smell out of the air. While we waited for that person to bring up the machine, we noticed that the pillowcases on our beds looked dirty. Then we noticed the floor hadn't been vacuumed (see the disgusting picture below). We went into the bathroom and noticed that the towels were nicely folded, but dirty. Gross! We called the front desk again, and they sent up someone to clean our room and give us new towels and bed linens. They were really nice and obviously apologetic, and we got our room for half price plus a free pay per view movie. I'm pretty sure that someone got fired over the state of our room. Don't they check references when they hire maids?
Look closely at the above picture. Do you see the sunflower seeds and toenail clippings on the floor? That's right, I said toenail clippings-yuck!
You're probably wondering why we didn't leave and find a new hotel. Our husbands asked the exact same question. We were afraid we wouldn't be able to find something else that had a room available that was close, neither one of us knows Oklahoma City well enough to find a hotel in another part of town, and we were so tired that all we wanted to do was sleep. We survived without catching any weird diseases, so I guess it turned out fine. Besides our hotel issues, our trip was a blast. It's so relaxing to have a weekend without kids.
I got to watch Elliott and Olive the day before they moved. Drew was so cute with Olive. He was always making sure her pacifier was in her mouth.

Elliott and Drew have quite the imaginations. They flipped over these video rocker chairs and played with them for almost an hour. At first they covered them with a sheet, climbed underneath, and called it their hideout. Then, they used them as slides. Finally, they used them as a platform to jump off of and fly to the couch while shouting "To infinity and beyond". (they're both huge Buzz Lightyear fans)
Drew will miss playing with Elliott at the gym daycare. He always packed 2 toys in his backpack to take to the gym--one for him and one for Elliott. Kressyda has been my workout buddy for a year and a half, and going to the gym won't be the same without her. It's been great having a friend to motivate me to work out and stay focused. Last year, when I hurt my shoulder and had to stop doing turbo kick and weight lifting and all the other things that I love, Kressyda would sit and ride the bikes with me at the gym since that was practically all I could do. She's been a great friend, and I'm going to miss her!

3 comments:

Thompson Tattler said...

Hmm, do you know anyone who might know OKC well enough to point you to a new hotel? Oh right, me! Hope you had fun!

Julie H. said...

I'm glad you could go on a girls weekend. It's so nice to have time all to your self. What a treat!

chelsey said...

Remember the flea bites from our hotel in Florence, Italy? Didn't I get one on my forehead right in between my eyes? We were all rather grossed out by the idea. But again, good luck finding a cheaper and cleaner hotel during tourist season in Florence! Glad you didn't get any diseases!