Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"What is it?"

Since yesterday was the 1st day of school, I thought I would make a fun after school snack for the boys. I found a cute pencil cake on the Internet, and I thought that would be perfect for back to school. If you've guessed that the end of this story is that I made a perfectly adorable pencil cake, my kids were delighted at my creativity, and they enjoyed every morsel of my moist and delicious cake, then stay tuned. That's not exactly how it turned out.

First of all, the cake baked a little longer than it should have, so it was a bit dry and brown on the bottom. I continued on because the creativity and adorableness (I know...not a word) of the cake would make up for what it was lacking in taste. Then I started the decorating. For those of you who know me well, you are surely aware that while I have many talents, doing anything crafty or decorative is simply not one of them. But, I can read and follow directions, so surely I could follow this simple recipe for turning a cake into a giant pencil. I followed all the steps, and when I was done I realized that my creation didn't look at all like the one in the picture. I figured it was good enough, and I went to pick the boys up from school.

When we got home, I told them a had a special treat for their after school snack. We went into the kitchen for the unveiling of the glorious pencil cake, and this was our conversation:

Grant-"Uhhh, what is it?"

Me-"It's cake."

Grant-"Yeah, but what's it supposed to be?"

Me-"What do you think it is?"

Brady-"A rocket?"

Grant-"the lights from the top of a police car?"

Me-"Are you kidding me? Do you really not know what it is?"

Brady-"Nope."

Me-"It has something to do with school. Think really hard."

Blank stares from both kids.

Me-"Ok, I'll tell you...It's a pencil!"

Grant-"Oh, yeah. It does kind of look like a pencil. Great job mom!"

Me-"So, do you guys want some cake?"

Brady-"No thanks. I don't really like yellow cake."

Grant-"Sure mom. I'll eat some if you want me to."

Sometimes things just don't turn out the way you plan!

7 comments:

Thompson Tattler said...

Hello, welcome to my world! What no picture? I wanna see the creation!

Laura said...

Me too. I want to see! Oh well, I'm with you on the crafty creativity thing. You're great for trying.

Alicia said...

You should have posted the picture. I think it was a great idea. Your a great mom for trying. Have fun at school Grant and Brady

Anonymous said...

Andrea-
That is too funny. I'm just relieved at what the boys thought it was. I was beginning to wonder what they might guess!

Andrea said...

Can you believe that my camera battery was charging, so I didn't take a picture? Maybe next time I attempt something cute and it's a complete flop, I'll document it with a photo.

Hawkins Family said...

Andrea...that is no excuse for not taking a picture! Ha. This just makes me REALLY nervous to try something creative for Owen's birthday cake. Hmm, it just might be a plain ugly same old brown rectangle cake. We'll see if I get daring. I might have you come help! =o) Thanks for posting the story it was a good laugh!

Freedom said...

That was the best thing ever. I totally feel your pain.