Saturday, February 14, 2009

Big Muscles

Parents have to be smart. That's all there is to it. As long as you're smarter than your kids, you'll survive parenthood.
Recently most of our smart moves have had something to do with Drew. He's just at that age where you're constantly having to come up with a plan to get him to do what you want.
Our latest crisis has been that Drew doesn't like to eat. He comes to the table, eats one bite, says thanks for dinner and clears his plate. (at least he's polite, right?) We've tried all kinds of things to get him to eat, but nothing has worked. We may be smarter, but he's definitely more stubborn.
One day we told him that eating makes your muscles grow. Apparently this was an impressive thing to a 4 year old, and he started eating again. He's convinced that the muscle growth happens instantly when he swallows a bite of food. So, he eats a bite, then flexes his muscles so we can all comment on how big they're getting. Then he takes another bite, and we repeat the process. Granted he comes to the table with no shirt on so we can all see his massive biceps and dinner takes twice as long because there is just as much flexing as eating, but he's eating healthy food again, so I just can't complain.
Like I said, you just have to be smarter than a 4 year old.



2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is hysterical, Andrea! Drew is such a funny little guy. I can't wait to see what curve balls he continues to throw as he grows up:) I love that kid!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness, that is too funny. I love the pictures. I'll have to try that with Paul, too, because he refuses to eat dinner every night and it makes us insane.
Although, I doubt he cares about muscles since he's the shy bookish type, but it's worth a try!